people who form their morality with laws and dictionary definitions are incredibly dangerous and should be avoided at all costs
quixylvre asked realsocialskills:
…In trying to explain to my mother what “anti-skills” are, she wants me to provide a list of examples. Could you, in a single post, provide a list of anti-skills that autistic people are routinely taught, perhaps also an addendum with anti-skills that are merely occasionally taught instead of consistently?
Some anti-skills I can think of off the top of my head, with some relevant links:
- Inability to say no
- Figuring out what people in power want, and doing it automatically
- Appearing enthusiastic and happy about doing so
- Suppressing and hiding all negative emotions; maintaining an happy affect at all costs
- Holding still in order to appear more neurotypical, even when it makes it impossible to understand things or communicate
- Denying that you’re disabled; lacking awareness of your own disability or impairment
- Hostility towards adaptive equipment and disability-related coping strategies
- Contempt for the body language and other discernibly autistic traits in others
- Inability to tell who is a friend and who has another agenda (this can lead to destructive involvement with ideological groups)
- Pushing yourself really hard to speak when other forms of communication would be more effective and less draining
- Becoming convinced that you don’t really care about other people and aren’t able to understand or relate to them, and so you have to rely on rigidly following rules instead
- Becoming convinced that you don’t have any body language
- Becoming convinced that you’re good at things that autistic people are stereotypically supposed to be good at, at the expense of spending time on things you’re actually good at
I also talked about some anti-skills in this post I wrote for someone considering working as an aide for an autistic kid.
These are some of the anti-skills I know about, what are some others y’all know about?
-Reflexive obedience to or attempting to please authority.
-Becoming convinced that you lack emotion or empathy.
-Becoming convinced of an innate, across-the-board inability to understand social situations, rather than understanding that you have certain perceptual barriers in certain social contexts.
-Reflexive acceptance of the priorities of others for you as your own.
-Falling under pressure to believe that other people’s perceptions of you and your abilities are more reliable than your own instincts and intuition.
-Basically all kinds of pressure to make you believe that your own perceptions are wrong and not reliable, and that paying attention to them, or taking proper care of yourself in atypical ways, is morally wrong.
- Becoming convinced that you can only get a job related to your special interest because you won’t be able to do anything else well
- Becoming convinced that you can only make friends if you behave as rigidly normal as possible, and that you are not entitled to feel comfortable around your “friends”
100 duders are building a 1:1 scale model of the continent of Westoros in Minecraft
Are you FUCKING kidding me?!
LOOK AT THIS SHIT
APPARENTLY I DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT THIS UNTIL NOW BUT HOLY SHIT. IM IMPRESSED, BUT WHY THO
AT THE FUCK
WHAT THE FUCK
WHAT THE FUCK
[loudly screaming at screen]
gives up on minecraft forever holy fucking shit no way no fucking way
but how do they get it all to render
Your semiannual reminder that Jib Kidder’s cover of “Pets” is pretty great. (You also gotta listen to “Windowdipper” at least once a month.)
IM LAUGHING SO HARD
im here for this, where is my oddash
Problem: Drawing a lot of stuff for work, but none of it can be shared on Tumblr right now.
Solution: Draw an obscure cartoon character from childhood, watch the ♥s roll in.
people literally accused trans* people identifying characters as trans* to create relatable characters in a world sorely devoid of them of fetishizing
[sherlock putting together his joan watson becomes a detective scrapbook, camera zooms onto a glittery page listing all of the minor felonies joan watson has commited]